Efficient lighting not only enhances the shopping experience but can also be a vital tool to boost in-store sales. Effective retail store lighting solutions reflect brand identity and attract new customers, which ultimately results in improved sales. Moreover, brick and mortar retailers are striving hard to stay in the game, as e-retail becomes more omnipresent with each passing day.
Highlighting the importance of retail store lighting for brick-and-mortar stores, Amardeep M Dugar, founder, Lighting Research & Design says, “Modern retailers are now focusing on profitability and improve customer experience at stores to counter threats from e-tailers.”
Dugar was speaking at the sidelines of the ‘International Conference on Design’ event hosted by G D Goenka University, Gurgaon on June 16.
Speaking at the conference, he also highlighted that by 2019, there would be staggering growth in modern retail real estate space requirements, which would also result in higher consumption of lighting.
“Increased requirement of modern retail space and more focus on lighting within stores will lead to increased demand for lighting. Warehousing needs for e-tailers are also rising rapidly, which will also accelerate the growth in demand for lighting,” he added.
Kaustubh Nandurbarkar, owner, Semblance Design Studio and Ashish Dhir, founder and Director, Wisedge Consulting were among the other speakers at the conference. Interestingly, many panelists pointed out that since most Indian retailers are very value conscious, they were not able to offer a single instance of an Indian retailer who has exhibited use of intelligent and cutting-edge retail lighting solutions.
1. Emphasise high contrast, not brightness, as high contract eases perception and heightens attention. Brightness, on the other hand, is just higher energy consumption.
2. Use diffused and vertical lights: Diffused lighting ensures a sense of well-being, while vertical lights define the periphery and ease orientation.
3. Vary colour within one concept: Employ different colour temperatures across general and vertical lighting schemes.
4. Add bed lighting: Bed lighting in a wide area shelf is more attention-drawing.
5. Use lighting as art; lighting should communicate the design.
6. Include theatrical elements
7. Deploy dedicated lighting for merchandise display